5 Key Features under the Hood of a Robust Tracking System
A Tracking System is essential to any business regardless of its size or industry. We need to keep several steps ahead of our competition and even more steps ahead of new start-ups about to pounce into our industry circle. It’s easy to get caught up in the day to day tasks and not even track anything you perform during the cycle of your daily business routine. Having a defined Tracking System that is built for the everyday function of keeping you steps ahead is key; but having it built with essential Key Features makes it even more of a success. Avoiding huge learning curves or even having options you can’t disable makes the use of the software even more challenging. Let’s take a look at the key features that your Tracking System needs to have.
As simple as it sounds, having a dashboard is ideal; but you need a dashboard that can offer:
- Snapshot of several components together in one location, “birds eye view” of progress
- Calendar component that highlights any days with issues matching the component date field
- Summary component that shows an Assigned To/Status summary
- Customizable personal dashboard settings, allowing for personal taste of layout, look & feel
Once logged into your Tracking System the UI (User Interface) should be designed in a way to allow ease of use. The main menu should provide you with an organized list of system information with a configurable filter.
At an Administrative level both the Dashboard & Menus should offer the ease of configuration per user level or role.
Essential for “Branding” your business, the UI should allow for the placing of your own logo and company details within the system. Most free Tracking Software will not allow you to place your own logo or details, FIT Tracking Solutions does. Consider a premium paid service that allow you to perform this basic task.
- Creating & Updating
Depending on your role/ access per the Tracking System.
- Creating users and defining access should be effortless and easy to perform as needed
- Email Preferences per email notification is a vital feature within your selection of a Tracking Software Solution
- User Preferences per customizing user experience and user access
- Creating, Updating & Closing Issues
- Viewing and Hiding Closed Issues
- Email Notifications per each issue should have the ability to choose who will get notified or if no one should be notified per the changes to the issue
Filters allow you to narrow down the list of relevant issues. For example, use a filter to display only issues logged against a specific project or user. Your system should have the ability to run a report which outputs data based on that filter.
Ability to create Preset Filters that can be used to filter common data used by your or your team.
- Reports & Charts
Once your Tracking System gets you into a daily routine of capturing data, you can start generating reports and charts.
Key items to consider:
- Running Saved Reports & Charts that both administrators and individual users can create. Create custom reports/ charts and save the requested report/ chart for future use.
- Creating Custom Reports & Charts, can be done by both the administrators and individual users. There is a direct need for:
- Quick Report/ Chart ability that provides the primary options used to build a report/ chart using the data captured with your system
- Summary Report/ Chart that can compare 2 levels of data
- Saving Custom Reports & Charts that can be used for future statistics or current data for meetings or presentations
The bottom line is to have a system that is robust in features and backed by a team of professionals that live and breathe the technology. Support is so crucial and with that is security. If you’re an individual looking to test drive such a Tracking System mentioned in this article. You’re only a few clicks away.
We offer a FREE 30 day no obligation test drive our software. As our site states, “One Software Unlimited Solutions”. With a FREE 30 day trial and FREE Proof of Concept, you have nothing to lose.